Earn 5 PDH | .5 CEU (Total course 5 hours)
ABOUT THE COURSE
11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, ET
This course caters to Engineers, Technicians, Facilities Managers, Energy Professionals, Architects and others who are interested in enhancing their understanding of renewable wind energy and would like to learn about how wind energy stacks up against other types of renewable and non-renewable sources of energy. In this seminar, wind energy is contrasted with other proven renewable energy sources with sustainability, technical, geographic, and financial feasibility in mind. Since no prerequisite is required for this seminar, we begin with basics of energy and important wind energy facts. Important metrics associated with wind energy, and renewable energy in general, are covered. Different energy storage systems typically included in the utility-scale wind energy projects are discussed. The physics principles behind wind turbine design and it’s performance are introduced. Lessons learned from the Texas freezes of 2017 and 2021 are reviewed and associated myths are debunked. Some of largest wind energy installations in the US and the rest of the world are recounted and compared. Some cutting-edge wind energy systems – not widely adopted yet - are introduced. The discussion on the topic of renewable wind energy is sustained by diagrams, tables, graphs, and pictures.
Learning Objectives - Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform and objective comparison between energy obtained from the grid versus the energy harnessed from wind turbines and other renewable sources. Identify and quantify technical and financial strengths and weaknesses of wind energy systems.
- Specify and implement renewable wind energy systems that leverage direct application to the point of use, thus maximizing the efficiency and net benefit of these systems, when and where feasible.
- Understand wind energy technologies on the basis of physics and engineering principles. Assess the performance of wind energy systems on the basis of physics and engineering equations that correlate physical parameters to the power and energy output of wind turbines. These equations serve as tools in design, analysis, suitable location selection and application of wind turbines.
- Follow progress on some of the major, more recent, notable, US and foreign wind energy projects. Benefit from the lessons learned on these projects.
- Identify some of the more unbiased and reliable technical and commercial information sources in the renewable energy arena; thus, staying abreast of progress and current data in the renewable energy realm, beyond this seminar.
- General Energy Background Information
- Wind Energy Facts, Basics, and Principles
- Renewable Energy Storage
- Capacity Factor
- Wind Energy Cost
- Wind Energy Technology
- Wind Classification in the US
- Betz Limit
- Did the wind turbines let Texas down in 2017 and 2021?
- Major Wind Energy Projects – Domestic & International Scene
- Cutting Edge, Futuristic Wind Energy Systems
- Renewable Energy Information Sources
Why you shouldn’t miss this seminar – How this seminar can benefit your organization or clients; what is unique about this course:
- Are you responsible for identifying the most suitable wind or other renewable energy alternative, for your operations or those of your clients’, and you feel inadequately prepared to lead the effort; or perhaps you don’t know where to begin? Then, this seminar is a must.
- Do you manage or lead a group of energy or engineering professionals responsible for identifying renewable energy solutions and managing renewable energy projects, but you feel that your knowledge and understanding of wind energy is somewhat inadequate, needs enhancement and greater breadth? Then you must not miss this frequently updated seminar.
- As an engineer or energy professional, do you feel inadequately equipped to comprehensively compare various renewable energy alternatives – from technical and financial feasibility vantage point? Then, this seminar will present an excellent opportunity to remedy that.
- How often do you get a chance to attend a course or a seminar that is presented by the author of books on relevant subject matter - in person? In this seminar, you will have the opportunity to interact and learn from Prof. Bobby Rauf, the author of the texts, titled: (1) Thermodynamics Made Simple, (2) Finance and Accounting for Energy Engineers, (3) Electrical Engineering for Non-Electrical Engineers, and Electrical Engineering Fundamentals.
- Some seminars and courses end up being monotonous monologues from the presenter to the audience. Not this one. In this seminar, you will get an opportunity to air questions, share your success stories – as well as, frustrations - in the wind energy arena. You will learn how to avoid costly mistakes, and engage the instructor and other attendees in discussions.
Who should attend:
- Licensed PE’s, Professional Engineers, and CEM’s, Certified Energy Managers, who need to meet the license or certification renewal PDH (Professional Development Hour) or CEU (Continuing Education Unit) requirements. This energy seminar couples engineering concepts and knowledge with renewable energy concepts and best practices.
- Facility Managers, Plant Engineers, Engineering Managers, Energy Professionals, Architects, Project Managers and other Executives who feel a need to enhance their renewable energy engineering knowledge, to make informed decisions on renewable energy projects or programs.
- Professionals, who do not possess prior experience or knowledge in the renewable energy realm, including Project Management Staff, Energy Project Financial Analysts and Technical Writers.
- Procurement/Purchasing Professionals who are responsible for obtaining renewable energy project proposals.
- Construction managers who manage renewable energy project installations.
- Other professionals whose annual PLP, Performance and Learning Program, include energy engineering courses, training, or seminars.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Bobby Rauf, P.E, C.E.M, MBA
Bobby Rauf is the President, Chief Consultant and a Senior Instructor at Sem-Train, LLC. He is a licensed Professional Engineer, in the State of North Carolina and is a Certified Energy Manager.
Mr. Rauf was inducted as “Legend in Energy” by AEE, in 2014. He is a published author of multiple engineering and energy books and professional development courses and holds a patent in process controls technology. He’s a member of ASEE, American Society of Engineering Education.
Mr. Rauf develops and instructs professional development or continuing education, energy and engineering skill building, and engineering cross-training courses. Some of his major clients include accredited universities in the US and abroad, major US and international corporations, and governmental institutions. He is also an Adjunct Professor at Gardner-Webb University.
During his long career with PPG Industries, Inc. as Senior Staff Engineer, his responsibilities included development and management of energy and ergonomics programs for multiple manufacturing plants, in the US and overseas. He also provided consultation and training services in the energy, electrical engineering, industrial safety, ergonomics and arc flash arena.
© The information contained here within is copyrighted material and may not be reused, posted on any platform, website or electronic system, or redistributed in any manner without the express written consent of PBJ Media Holdings LLC.
Disclaimer - The views expressed here are those of the instructors and or authors and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of PBJ Media Holdings LLC, its affiliates, or partners. By accessing any content you agree that the aforementioned parties are not liable and you hold harmless the parties for any errors, omissions, or statements contain in the materials.