The Performance Measurement and Verification Analyst (PMVA) professional certification establishes the primary standard for individuals applying performance, measurement, and verification concepts to energy efficiency projects. PMVAs typically work in an analyst role for ESCOs, public administration, utilities, and financial institutions and are involved in designing and implementing energy efficiency programs and financing energy efficiency projects. They have demonstrated M&V capabilities, including a good understanding of applying the IPMVP to determine savings. PMVAs could be building technologists, HVAC specialists, engineers, architects, economists, financial analysts, etc.
NOTE: EVO’s PMVA CERTIFICATION is earned by demonstrated field M&V work achieved through a mix of M&V relevant education, professional expertise, and experiences.
Certification registration is included in your M&V Fundamentals & IPMVP seminar registration. You will also receive information on how to log into the EVO certification portal after registering for the seminar to upload your work and educational experience documentation.
TRAINING REQUIREMENT TO TAKE PMVA EXAM
- M&V Fundamentals and IPMVP Seminar
- The certification exam test reflects the following competencies:
- Knowledge and basic understanding/comprehension of the fundamental principles of M&V for individual energy efficiency projects and specifically the key concepts of the IPMVP.
- Understanding relevant statistical concepts and how they apply to M&V
- Understanding the IPMVP four Options and the essential elements/content of an M&V Plan
- Capacity to provide professional advice to energy efficiency program developers, utilities, governments, financial institutions, energy users, and other parties interested in M&V.
- The exam consists of multiple choice questions. Before taking the exam, candidates have access to a series of knowledge-based sample questions on various M&V topics to test their acquired knowledge and to help them identify subjects/themes requiring further study and revision.
PMVA APPROVAL CRITERIA
- Take the M&V Fundamentals and IPMVP course and take & pass the PMVA exam with a mark of 70 % or higher. More than 15,000 individuals have already taken this course in the past decade. (Candidates must take the exam and file their PMVA application with EVO within three years of training; however, it is recommended to upload your documentation before taking the course and to take the exam immediately after taking the course)
- Have successfully graduated college/university in engineering, architecture, economics, sustainability, finance, building technology, HVAC, or related (requires a copy of your diploma or other relevant credentials)
- Work in the field for at least two years – M&V, energy, energy efficiency, government, ESCO, utility, financial institution or related – should be advising/developing/implementing energy efficiency programs, energy efficiency projects, financing of energy projects, energy management, energy audits (provide contact details for reference and also a short description of duties)
- Complete the PMVA electronic application form on EVO’s website, upload information as required.
- The PMVA certification is valid for 36 months from the date of being awarded. PMVA-A Associate level awardees have four years to upload their additional work and/or educational experience to apply for full PMVA designation.
PMVA RENEWAL CRITERIA – Mix of the following:
- Being employed in the field for the period of the certification (require start/end dates of employment and description of the duties. The duties should be the same or similar to the ones for initial PMVA approval)
- Teaching M&V, energy, EE, energy financing, etc. courses/webinars/masterclasses (should provide the title of the courses, dates when delivered, program/agenda showing they were the instructors, reference contact details)
- Prepare simple M&V plans or advise/be part of a team doing/reviewing M&V plans (names should be on the M&V plan; should provide the title of the M&V plan, when it was prepared or implemented – should be in the same renewal cycle, and contact details for reference)
- Speak at conferences on M&V relevant topics (should provide the title of the event, dates within the renewal cycle, programs showing they were the speaker/presentation)
- Trainee to relevant courses (provide a certificate of attendance within the renewal cycle)
- Author of published articles, papers, professional reference books in energy efficiency and M&V field of study (provide the title, date of publication, copy or link to the publication; names should be on the publication)
NOTE: If your government requires you to be IPMVP accredited, please make sure you apply for renewal 2-3 months before your certification is due to expire. Thus, it will not lapse, and you will have been continually accredited without interruption.
If you do not pass the PMVA Exam and need to retake the PMVA Exam there is an additional $250 retake fee.
IPMVP© 2022 Efficiency Valuation Organization (EVO). All rights reserved. The IPMVP and EVO training materials may not be reproduced or altered, in whole or in part, and may not be used or disseminated in connection with any commercial training course or seminar, whether in hard copy, digital, or other form, without EVO’s prior written consent. PBJ Tech Hub is an official training provider and has EVO’s authorization to reproduce, use in its training, and may disseminate to PBJ attendees taking an authorized EVO based training course.