Engineers and non-engineers often eschew electrical engineering because it is premised on concepts and mathematical techniques that are somewhat more abstract and elusive than those employed in disciplines like civil, mechanical, and industrial engineering. Yet, because of the ubiquitous nature of electrical and electronic equipment and devices, and the indispensable role electricity plays in various facets of lives, a basic understanding of electrical engineering is essential. Engineers and non-engineers find themselves interfacing with electrical apparatus and dealing with matters that permeate into the electrical realm. Therein lies the purpose and objective of this book. This edition includes numerous updated pictures, diagrams, tables, charts, graphs, and improved explanation of certain concepts.
Table of Contents
- Electrical Engineering Basics and Direct Current
- DC Circuit Analysis and Basic Electronic Devices
- Alternating Current Fundamentals
- DC and AC Power
- Power Factor
- Demand, Load Factor, Service Factor and Electrical Power Bill Calculation
- Electric Motors and Generators
- Power Distribution Equipment, Instrumentation and Electronic Safety Devices
- National Electric Code, NFPA 70 E and Electrical Standards
- Electrical and Control Drawings
- Electrical Power Rate Schedules, Electrical Energy Cost Savings Opportunities
- Illumination and Lighting System Design
- Bobby Rauf is the President, Chief Consultant and a Senior Instructor at Sem-Train, LLC. Mr. Rauf has over 25 years of experience in teaching undergraduate and post graduate Engineering, Science, Math, Business Administration and MBA courses, seminars and workshops. Mr. Rauf earned his BS in Electrical Engineering, with honors, from NC State University, Raleigh, NC, USA. He earned his Executive MBA degree from Pfeiffer University Misenheimer, NC, US. He is a registered Professional Engineer, in the States of Virginia, Wyoming and North Carolina and is a Certified Energy Manager. He holds a patent in process controls technology.
Mr. Rauf was inducted as "Legend in Energy" by AEE, in 2014. Mr. Rauf is a member of ASEE, American Society of Engineering Education.
Mr. Rauf is certified to instruct various engineering, ergonomics, and industrial safety courses. He has conducted certification training and trained engineers for Professional Engineering licensure exams in the United States and abroad over the past fifteen years.
Mr. Rauf develops and instructs PDH (Professional Development Hour) and, continuing education, engineering skill building courses. He conducts these course in form of webinars, live on-site presentations, workshops, pre-recorded audio and self-study texts. Some his major clients include Amazon, NYC MTA, NYSSPE, Patrick Engineering, and several universities. He is also an Adjunct Professor at Gardner-Webb University.
Mr. Rauf has published the following textbooks over the last ten years:
- Electrical Engineering for Non-Electrical Engineers
- Thermodynamics Made Simple for Energy Engineers
- Finance and Accounting for Energy Engineers
He has also developed and published several self-study books, in electronic format, that cater to the continuous professional development needs of Engineers, Technicians and Technical Managers. Mr. Rauf’s last full-time engineering employment, in the corporate world, was at PPG Industries, Inc. where he served as a Senior Staff Engineer. During his long career at PPG, his responsibilities included development and management of energy and ergonomics programs for multiple manufacturing plants, in the US and overseas.
Author: S. Bobby Rauf